Brief About Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty is one of Bangalore’s most renowned cardiothoracic surgeons and Considered among the top 10 cardiologists in India. Dr Shetty has over 35 years of expertise and has performed over 15,200 heart procedures, 4900 of which were on children.
He has completed his MBBS & MS from the renowned Kasturba Medical College. Succeeding which he did his FRCS from the West Midlands Cardio-Thoracic Rotation Program between Walsgrave Hospital, Coventry and East Birmingham Hospital. Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty has completed Asia’s first dynamic cardiomyoplasty surgery, which uses the chest wall muscle to rebuild the weak heart muscle. He is also one of the few surgeons in the world who does keyhole heart surgery using a microchip camera. He has employed a left ventricular assist device to temporarily maintain a failing heart for the first time in India. Dr Shetty is regarded as one of the most skilled specialists in the world when it comes to bypass grafting on a beating heart. In 1990, he performed the first open-heart surgery on a 9-day-old baby in India, making him the first surgeon in the country to do so.
Dr. Shetty is also the founder of multi-specialty hospital Narayana Hrudayalaya Bangalore and Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences (RTIICS) Kolkata. Dr. Prasad has his expertise in Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
Awards & Honors
- Dr. Shetty has been awarded ‘Padma Shri’, the fourth highest civilian award in India
- He is also awarded with’Padma Bhushan’, the third-highest civilian award by the Government of India for his contribution to healthcare.
- Besides being an eminent surgeron he is also known for his contribution in both Medical Science and Public Welfare.
Also, Read- Healthy Heart Tips
Also, Check out the FAQ’s video on Heart Bypass Surgery
- MBBS, Kasturba Medical College ,Mangalore
- MS, Kasturba Medical College ,Mangalore
Work Experience Of Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
- Padma Bhushan, 2012
- Padma Shri Award for Medicine in 2004.
- Karnataka Ratna Award in the year 2001
- Rajyotsava Award in the year 2002.
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award in for the year 2003.
- Ernst & Young-Entrepreneur of the Year in 2003.
- Dr. B.C. Roy Award for the year 2003.
- Schwab Foundation's award in 2005.
- Chairman, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Bangalore
- Chairman, Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences (RTIICS) in Kolkata.
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Aortic Stent Grafting
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Valve replacement - Mechanical Valve
- Aortic Valve replacement - Tissue Valve
- Arrhythmia Treatment with Ablation and Pacemakers
- Balloon Valvuloplasty - Aortic
- Biventricular Pacing
- Complex congenital heart surgeriesg
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Treatment
- Coronary Angiogram
- Coronary Artery Surgery
- Device Closure- ASD VSD
- ECMO Support
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Mitral Valve replacement - Mechanical Valve
- Mitral Valve replacement - Tissue Valve
- Neonatal and Infant cardiac surgeries
- PDA Device Closure
- PDA Ligation
- Single Ventricle Defects Surgery
- TAPVC - Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection Repair Arterial Switch
- Truncus Arterious Repair
Chief , MBBS, MS, MCh
21 years of experience
Senior Consultant , MBBS, MS, MCh
11 years of experience
Director , MBBS, MS, MCh,
31 years of experience Chennai , India