What Is Limb Lengthening Surgery?
Limb lengthening surgery is an inpatient treatment that lengthens a leg that is shorter than the other leg by using your body's natural ability to grow new bone and the gradual expansion of soft tissue, blood vessels, and nerves. A metal lengthening device will be inserted after one of your leg bones is cut, progressively widening the space between the bones.
Until the desired bone length is attained, this process is done at a pace of about 1 mm each day. The leg bone will eventually diverge, and your body will produce new bone cells to cover the space. The bones can be distracted using an internal lengthening nail or an external fixator.
Procedure For Limb Lengthening Surgery in Amritsar
The surgery involves a process known as distraction osteogenesis, which stimulates the natural growth of new bone tissue. Here is an overview of the procedure:
The process will begin with a thorough evaluation and consultation with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in limb lengthening and during this consultation, the surgeon will assess the patient's medical history, current condition, and goals for the surgery. X-rays and other imaging studies are conducted to determine the feasibility and plan for the procedure.
- General anesthesia will be administered to the patient so they can sleep through the procedure painlessly. Using a drill, the surgeon inserts the wire through the skin and into the bone.
- Then, using specialized "wire fixation" bolts, these wires are fastened to the outside rings.
- The rings are fastened to one another using thin threaded rods. As a result, the fixed Ilizarov device supports and stabilizes the injured limb.
- After that, a bone cut known as an osteotomy is made in order to promote the growth of new bone.
- Sharp wire tips are folded and cut, and an X-ray would verify that the assembly is complete.
Following the distraction phase, patients undergo a period of consolidation during which the new bone hardens and heals. Physical therapy and rehabilitation are crucial during this phase to maintain the functions of the joint and muscle strength. After the surgery, the patient is closely monitored by a medical team to ensure proper healing and to address any potential complications.
Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost in Amritsar
Affordable Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost in Amritsar starts from 13,000 USD. The patient must spend a week in the hospital and around half a month outside of the hospital for recheck-up. The diagnosis and the facilities the patient chooses will determine the overall cost of the treatment.
Factors That Can Affect Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost in Amritsar
- Need for post-operative care.
- The package can depend on the type of treatment.
- Medic competence and experience in the subject.
- Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost in Amritsar can vary depending on the duration of hospitalization and your stay at the hospital.
- The patient’s condition: The patient’s condition and whether additional modalities are required for complete treatment.
- Limb Lengthening Surgery cost in Amritsar can depend on the type of hospital you stay in.
Medsurge India has assisted thousands of patients i.e. both international as well as domestic seeking superior medical treatment at cost-effective rates, facilitating their access to high-quality care. You can schedule a tele/video consultation with us - Contact Us Now.