- Dr. S. Karunakaran is a well-known Consultant and Spine Orthopedic Surgeon with an experience of 24 years.
- He is prolific in the treatment of spinal disorders of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine.
- His treatment involves the appropriate use of minimally invasive and motion-sparing techniques.
- Dr. S is the first one to carry out percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy under local anesthesia for disc prolapse in this part of the country (Transforaminal and interlaminar without stitches).
- He is the first surgeon to use IN SPACE – interspinous implant for lumbar canal stenosis (keyhole spine surgery local anesthesia).
- He also initiated the 3D printed spinal implant and performed more than a thousand spine surgeries including scoliosis, cervical spine pathologies, thoracotomies, laparotomy, and disc replacement surgeries.
- He has received the prestigious Mohandas Weller Gold Medal and Fellowship Award, Indo German Orthopedic Foundation, India in 2017, Best Publication award in Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association Journal (2010) for Morphometric evaluation of the Cervical Spine Pedicle in our Population, Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association Traveling Spine Fellowship award in 2006 and ASSI (Association of spine surgeons of India) Traveling Spine Fellowship award in 2005.
- He is a member of the Indian Medical Association (IMA); Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association; Orthopedic Association of South Indian States (OASIS); Association of Spine Surgeons of India (ASSI); and Asian Academy of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery.
- Dr. S has passed MBBS from Rajah Muthiah Dental College Hospital, Annamalai University in 1994 MS in Orthopedics from Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai in 2000; and DNB in Orthopedics/Orthopedic Surgery from Medical Council of India in 2001. Dr. Karunakaran has attended training on Interlaminar Percutaneous Endoscopic Cervical and Lumbar Spine Surgery with Dr. Sebastian Ruetten, at St. Anna Hospital, Herne, Germany in 2012. He also attended advanced training for Endoscopic Spine Surgery under Dr.Antony Yeung, Phoenix, USA in 2012.
- DNB, 2001, Medical Council of India
- MS, 2000, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
- MBBS, 1994, Rajah Muthiah Dental College Hospital, Annamalai University
Work Experience Of Dr. S. Karunakaran
- Consultant, Government General Hospital, 2017, 2017
- Consultant, Meenakshi Mission Hospital, 2004
- Associate Consultant, MIOT Hospitals, 2003
- Associate Consultant, Wellington Hospitals, 1997
1. Mohandas Weller Gold Medal and Fellowship Award at 10th Anniversary meets of the Indo German Orthopedic Foundation, India – Analysis of single level stabilization in grade 1 and grade 2 spondylolisthesis (SPINE), 2017
2. Best Publication award in Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association Journal (2010) for “Morphometric evaluation of the Cervical Spine Pedicle in our Population”
3. Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association Traveling Spine Fellowship award in 2006
4. ASSI (Association of spine surgeons of India) Traveling Spine Fellowship award in 2005
- Spine Injury,
- Spinal Fusion,
- Spinal Cord Injury Treatment,
- Spinal Disorders,
- Spinal Disc Surgery,
- Spinal Therapy,
- Neck and Spine Biopsy,
- Back Pain Treatment,
- Neck Pain Treatment,
- spine pain management,
- Congenital and acquired deformity correction,
- Spine scoliosis and kyphosis,
- Endoscopic Disc Surgery,
- Neck and Back pain Clinic,
- Spine Conservative Management/Non-surgical Technique,
- Spine Dynamic stabilization,
- Non Fusional spine surgical Technique,
- Regenerative Technique,
- Epidural Transforaminal Injection,
- Facetal Injection,
- Spinal Rehabilitation Technique,
- Robotic Calipers / Injections,
- Spine 3D Printing,
- General Orthopedic Clinic,
- Joint Pain Treatment,
- Keyhole-Sutureless Spinal surgeries,
- Anterior Cervical Corpectomy Spine Surgery
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy
- Artificial Spine Lumbar Disc Replacement
- Cervical Corpectomy
- Cervical Spine
- Comprehensive Myelopathy - Spinal Cord Surgery
- Disc Herniation
- Kyphosis (Hunchback) Treatment
- Lumbar Laminectomy for Spine
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Prolapsed Disc
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Scoliosis Spine Surgery
- Slip Disc
- Spinal Cord Injury - Stem Cell Treatment
- Spinal Endoscopic Surgery
- Spinal Fusion Surgery
- Spinal Instrumentation
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spine Decompression Surgery
- Spine Tumour Surgery
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty
Consultant , MD, MBBS, Fellowship, Fellowship
27 years of experience