Difference Between Hodgkin Lymphoma and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Lymphoma is cancer that occurs in the lymphatic system – an integral part of the immune system responsible for fighting germs. The lymphatic system includes the lymph nodes, spleen, bone marrow, and thymus gland. Lymphoma treatment in India is successfully done at selected centers in India
Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma are named after the scientist who discovered them and requires different treatments. There are mainly two types of lymphomas: Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. The main difference lies in the specific lymphocyte each involves.
In layman language, both terms Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma do not make any huge difference. However, they require different types of treatments based on their severity.
Here are some facts about Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and what patients should know about when they are diagnosed with it.
What is the common type of Lymphoma: Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin?
- Although both lymphomas mostly occur in men and at any stage of life, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma is common than Hodgkin Lymphoma.
- While Hodgkin mostly hits young adults ages 15 to 40 and older adults up to 55 years, Non-Hodgkin usually occurs in adults who are above 60.
- There are chances that an individual may get both lymphomas and some viruses are responsible for it such as human T-cell lymphocytotropic virus, Epstein-Barr virus, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
Inflammation is the most common symptom in Hodgkin Lymphoma
Both lymphomas develop in the lymphatic system that affects white blood cells. In fact, the number of white blood cells than actual is a common sign of both lymphomas. The other noticeable symptoms in both lymphomas are unexplained weight loss, fever, and night sweats.
However, an individual with Hodgkin Lymphoma may experience inflammatory symptoms such as painful lymph nodes, an unexplained rash that do not occur in patients with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
What Are The Possible Causes Of Lymphoma?
Doctors are still unsure of the main cause of any of these lymphomas. It develops when a lymphocyte, a germ-fighting white blood cell, faces a genetic mutation. This developed mutation multiplies rapidly causing a number of diseased lymphocytes that keep on multiplying. As a result, these diseased lymphocytes swell the lymph nodes, spleen, and liver.
Lymphoma Diagnosis: An Accurate Diagnosis Before The Actual Treatment Starts!
As Hodgkin Lymphoma and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma are different diseases, they require different treatment as well. Therefore, it is important for an accurate diagnosis before undergoing treatment. The doctor examines the cancerous cells under a microscope. Hodgkin Lymphoma is diagnosed by the presence of Reed Sternberg cells. The biopsy samples are also filled with inflammation, whereas, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma does not feature inflammation.
Also, there are some cases in which non-cancerous conditions often confused with lymphoma. One such condition is Sarcoidosis which is an inflammatory disease but confused with lymphoma.
There are several tests and procedures to diagnose lymphoma and they include:
- A Thorough Physical Exam: The doctor examines for any swollen lymph nodes in the neck, groin, underarm. The doctor may also examine for swollen spleen or liver.
- Lymph Node Sample For Testing: The doctor may perform a biopsy procedure by removing all or a part of lymph node. These advanced tests helps in detecting the presence of lymphoma cells or what type cells are involved.
- Complete Blood Count Test (CBC): A CBC test count the number of cells in a sample taken. This helps in detecting the exact diagnosis.
- Sample Of Bone Marrow For Testing: This biopsy procedure involves the insertion of a needle into the hipbone to get a sample of bone marrow for further detecting the presence of any lymphoma cells.
- Imaging Tests: The doctor may also perform imaging tests such as CT, MRI, and positron emission tomography (PET) to look for any lymphoma cells in the body.
Furthermore, there are many types of lymphomas that exist and to detect it, the doctor may also perform tests and procedures for an accurate treatment plan. According to the study, an expert pathologist may diagnose an accurate form of lymphoma by reviewing a biopsy sample.
A Combination Of Therapies For Lymphoma Treatment!
Which treatment is right for which lymphoma depends on the type and stage of the disease along with the overall health of the patient.
- Active Monitoring: Sometimes cancerous cells grow slowly. In such cases, doctors recommend regular monitoring until any sign or symptom occurs.
- Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy: Lymphoma, when diagnosed at an early stage, can be treated by combined therapy of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Helpful-What is Radiation Therapy | Radiation Therapy For Cancer | Dr Ashu Abhishek
- Bone Marrow Transplant: Additionally for advanced cases, patients with either of the lymphomas may require bone marrow transplant where chemotherapy fails. A bone marrow transplant in combination with chemotherapy replenishes healthy cells in the bone and bone marrow.
- Other Options: Other treatments include targeted drugs to destroy any abnormalities in the cancerous cells. Immunotherapy drugs that use the immune system to kill cells. Chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-T cell therapy is another specialized treatment that takes the body’s germ-fighting T-cells, fight against cancer, and infuses them into the body.
India is known for offering affordable medical care in the oncology field including Lymphoma Treatment Cost in India. Medsurge India, being one of the best medical tourism companies in India, helps in getting cost-effective medical care.
How Much Does Lymphoma Treatment Cost
Depending on the severity of the patient’s condition and the types of treatment required, the Lymphoma Treatment Cost in India is as follows:
|Chemotherapy||Bone Marrow Transplant|
|USD 250-1800 per cycle||Approximately 20,000 USD|
What Is The Success Rate Of Lymphoma Treatment?
The success rate of lymphoma treatment depends on the following factors such as:
- Stage of tumor
- Type of lymphoma as both lymphomas require different treatments
- The overall health of the patient
- Doctor’s experience
- How far the tumor has spread
|Stage||Five-year Survival Rate|
|All Stages Combined||89%|
What Are The Factors Affecting Lymphoma Treatment Cost In India?
Likewise success rate of the treatment, there are factors that affect Lymphoma Treatment Cost in India and they are:
- Type of hospital like single-specialty, multi-specialty.
- Rooms that are categorized as deluxe room, single room, or shared room.
- Type of treatments such as cost of surgery and cost of chemotherapy or radiotherapy sessions if required
- Specialists fees and in this case, there are radiologists, oncologists, BMT specialists, dermatologists, etc.
- Tests and diagnostic procedures
Preparing For Your Appointment: To-do List!
When you experience any sign or symptom, consult your general physician. Furthermore,On suspecting any relevant signs, the doctor may refer you to a hematologist, who specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases that affect blood cells.
Before going for your appointment, make a list of the following and be well-prepared.
- Write down all symptoms you’re experiencing and do not miss a single sign or symptom. Making a list helps your specialist diagnosing easier.
- If you are also facing any major stress in your life, share it with your specialist as well.
- Make a list of all vitamins or supplements you’re consuming.
- Ask your close relative, family member, or friend to join you along as it is a matter of physical, social, and financial concern.
- Write down all the questions you want to ask your physician.
Here’s a list of questions you can write down as your appointment time is limited, so make the most of it.
- Do I have lymphoma?
- What kind of it is?
- What stage it is?
- Is it curable?
- Do I have to undergo further tests?
- How much the treatment would cost?
- What are the treatment options?
- How long will it last?
- What are the chances of recurrence?
In return, your doctor may likely ask you the following questions:
- When did you experience your first sign?
- Are these symptoms continuous or occasional?
- How serious are they?
- What do you do to improve your symptoms?
- Is there anyone in your family who has had lymphoma before?
- Have you been ever exposed to toxins?
Your appointment with your doctor is precious. Make the most of it.
Which Specialists Treat Lymphoma?
If you experience any relevant signs or symptoms, the following specialists of different departments work together for quality care and quicker recovery.
- Bone Marrow Transplant Specialists
Medsurge India For Lymphoma Treatment In India – Your guide to better health!
India has also evolved as one of the best medical tourism destinations for lymphoma treatment. The state-of-the-art infrastructure combined with pocket-friendly treatments makes India the best choice for Lymphoma Treatment.
There are also a number of super-specialty, multi-specialty, and single-specialty hospitals in India that are backed up by highly skilled medical professionals and administered by nursing personnel offering affordable medical services meeting international standards.
Medsurge India is one such reliable health assistance partner that stays with you throughout your medical journey in India including airport pickup and drop services, translation services, visa services, money transfer, accommodation, and above all doing coordination with the doctor and hospital. Medsurge India truly believes in serving with heart!!