Spine Decompression Surgery Cost in India
- The cost of Spine Decompression Surgery in India ranges between USD 4400 to USD 5000.
- Depending on age and severity of the disease, the success rate of Spine Decompression Surgery is more than 95%.
- Patient is required to stay in hospital for 5 days and 12 days outside the hospital.
- Tests recommended by doctor include MRI, CT, Blood tests and X-ray.
- Medsurge India helps patient in getting best quote from the top hospital across India. We are committed to offer the best cost for Spine Decompression Surgery in India
Types of Spine Decompression Surgery
- Microdiscectomy -is one of the most minimally invasive procedures performed for leg pain (scaiatica ) from lumbar herniated disc. In this surgery, with a relatively small incision the portion of the herniation that is in contact with the nerve root is pulled out.
- Lumbar laminectomy (open decompression)-is performed for pain from lumbar spinal stenosis. During this procedure, the lamina (the bone in the back of the vertebra) at one or more segments is removed with the goal of reducing pressure on the spinal cord or nerves
- Corpectomy – mostly used in cases of cervical surgery , it involves removing part of the vertebra in order to decompress, or relieve pressure on spinal nerves.
- Laminotomy – this surgery is essentially the same as a laminectomy, with the exception that a hole is made in the lamina and removal of a small portion of the lamina and ligaments, usually on one side so the natural support of the lamina is left in place, decreasing the chance of postoperative spinal instability.
- Foraminotomy is the removal of bone around the neural foramen to release the pinched nerve . This method is used when due to disc degeneration the height of the foramen has collapsed.
Diagnosis for Decompression surgery :
- significant pain, weakness, or numbness in leg , neurological symptoms not improved with physiotherapy or medication
- difficulty walking or standing that affects quality of life
- diagnostic tests like MRI , CT , Myelogram confirming severity of condition
- Cauda equina syndrome
- General health check to ascertain fitness for surgery, past medical , surgical history .
- Blood tests
- X-ray , MRI scan
Also, read– Things you must know about minimally invasive surgery cost in india
Spine Decompression Surgery cost in India
USD 4,400 – 5,000
( India Rupees Approx. 3,23,000 – 3,66,500 )
During Operative procedure
- Anaesthesia -procedure performed under general anaesthesia .
- Incision– A skin incision is made down the middle of your back over the appropriate vertebrae, The length of the incision depends on how many laminectomies are to be performed.
- The strong back muscles are split down the middle and moved to either side exposing the lamina of each vertebrae.
- laminectomy or laminotomy– Once the bone is exposed, an X-ray is taken to verify the correct vertebra, the lamina at one or more segments is removed.
- Decompress of the spinal nerve
- Closure– The muscle and skin incisions are sewn together with sutures or staples.
- The length of stay in hospital depends on the degree of decompression performed usually the surgery requires a hospital stay from 1 to 3 days and recovery takes between 4 to 6 weeks.
- Stitches or staples will be removed 10 – 14 days after your operation
Post operative Restrictions :
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time.
- Do not lift anything heavier than 10 pounds ,
- Do not bend or twist at the waist.
- Do not smoke. Smoking delays healing
Complications Of Spine Decompression Procedure:
As in any surgery there can be complications:
- chances of blood clots (DVT)
- Continued pain or numbness
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Infection in the spine
- Nerve damage Nerve damage or persistent pain. Any operation on the spine comes with the risk of damaging the nerves or spinal cord. Damage can cause numbness or even paralysis.
- Leaking of spinal fluid
Factors Affecting Cost Of Spinal Decompression Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital, the patient chooses
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate and room service)
- Fee for the team of doctors and OT charges
- cost of medications
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure
- Physiotherapist cost
The Most Important Frequently Asked Questions
What is Operation Decompression?
A small portion of the bone over the nerve root or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to allow the nerve root more space to provide a safer healing atmosphere. Decompression surgery is essentially done to relieve the compressed nerves in order to reduce pain.
When is surgery for decompression required?
If the symptoms are excessive in terms of impairing the quality of life and have not progressed with physical therapy or treatments and spinal injections, decompression may be suggested.
But we must bear in mind that if there is no pathological cause of the pain, surgery can only correct an anatomical defect, so we have to be able to recognise it, otherwise the pain and neurological symptoms would remain constant even after surgery. Only experiencing pain and having failed conservative treatment is not an indicator for surgery.
What does elective spinal surgery mean to you?
Almost all spine operations are elective, meaning it’s the discretion of the patient to either to have the surgery or not to have the surgery. Patients should decide to have surgery in consultation with the surgeon, depending on the level of pain and the amount of disability.
What is the length of stay for spine decompression surgery?
A hospital stay of 1 to 3 days is expected for the surgery, and recovery takes between 4 and 6 weeks.
What are the outcomes of spine decompression surgery in clinical terms?
The outcomes of the procedure are entirely dependent on the patient. It is important to maintain a positive attitude and conduct your physical therapy exercises faithfully. It can dramatically reduce pain by maintaining a weight that is suitable for your height.. To prevent re-injury, you need to be careful and need to use proper posture and lifting techniques.
What is the prognosis for surgery for spine decompression?
The decompression spine surgery success rate is high, with approximately 90 percent of patients reporting strong leg pain relief after surgery.
What do vertebrae mean?
The 33 bones comprising the spinal column are classified into 7 cervical, 12 thoracic, 5 lumbar, 5 sacral and 4 coccygeal vertebrae.
What does Sciatica mean to you?
Sciatica is a condition in which pain caused by pressure on the nerve in the lower back radiates down the leg.
What’s the syndrome of cauda equina?
Cauda equina syndrome is an abnormal function of the bladder and intestine, caused by compression of the spinal nerve roots, with a lack of sensation in the buttocks.
What does DVT mean? (Deep Vein Thrombosis )
Since blood clots form within the veins of your legs, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a potentially serious condition. If the clots break free and move to the lungs, it can be life threatening .
What is the conservative Spine Decompression treatment method?
Physiotherapy, medicines, and spinal injections are also provided by conservative care strategies.
What are the drawbacks of surgery with decompression?
Stenosis or arthritis is not healed by decompression; it only relieves some of the symptoms that can recur as the degenerative phase progresses.
Who’s going to perform the operation?
The operation may be performed by a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic spine surgeon with advanced training .
Road No 72, Opp. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan School Hyderabad 500033 India
Established in : 1988
Number of Beds : 380
Chandragupta Marg, Opp Russian Embassy, Chanakyapuri New Delhi Delhi 110021 India
Established in : 2001
Number of Beds : 190
Senior Consultant , MBBS, MCh
27 years of experience
Consultant , Fellowship, MCh, MS, MBBS
15 years of experience
Mumbai , India