Spinal Fusion Surgery Cost in India
- Based on the number of spinal levels, the estimated cost of Spine Surgery in India ranges from USD 4,800 to USD 7,800.
- The price of Scoliosis Spine Surgery in India ranges from USD 10,500 to USD 11,500.
- Hospital stay is of about 5 days and 15 days away from the hospital.
- Most of the patients have been advised to walk on the next day of operation and have direct relief from pain.
- Tests Necessary for discovering Spine Surgery are CT Scan, MRI Scan, and Discogram and X-Ray.
Types of Spinal Fusion Surgery
Part of spine- Spinal fusion can be done at any location of the spine
- Lumbar fusion- commonly done process chiefly because of degenerative disc changes in the thoracic spine that cause pressure on the spinal cord nerves.
- Cervical fusion – also commonly performed because of greater motion and stress on the cervical spine.
- Thoracic fusion –thoracic spine being more immobile, so usually, the reason for fusion in the thoracic spine is injury or deformities.
Multi-levels of spinal fusion
- One level spinal fusion – utilizes to prevent movement at the one section e.g. L4-L5, two vertebrae have to be combined with each other to prevent movement at the one segment.
- Two-level spinal fusion – utilized to prevent movement at two sections L4-L5, L5-S1, which is it involves linking of three vertebrae, however, the spinal combination of two or more amounts is not likely to offer pain relief because of hampers standard movement of back and places pressure across staying joints.
- The fusion of 3 or more levels – isn’t done except in cases of scoliosis or deformity.
Spinal Fusion Surgery Cost in India
( Indian Rupees approx. 3,74,000 )
A complete health checkup and diagnostic Evaluations performed before surgery, it involves a Set of Bloodstream tests, ECG, X-ray and scans. Some Drugs like blood thinners have to Be Ceased at least Two weeks until surgery. It is important to stop smoking because it reduces blood Flow and Interrupts bone fusion
Step 1-The patient is positioned and anesthesia is given
Step2– Incision is created in skin and cells are gently moved aside to make a route to the backbone minimally invasive techniques also have been developed that these permit fusions with little incisions.
The procedure may be done by different techniques depending on the best possible for the patient and expertise of the surgeon
In Thoracic Spine fusion distinct techniques can be
Posterolateral fusion — in this procedure the bone graft is put between the transverse process and that the vertebra is subsequently fixed in position.
Interbody fusion -During this technique whole intervertebral disk is removed and a bone graft is put in distance between the vertebra, Kinds of interbody fusion
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion(ALIF)- this process is done in the front using an anesthetic at the lower stomach, the intervertebral disk is removed and a bone graft placed.
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF)- as its name implies this process is done via the spine and includes removing the disk and adding bone between two nerves.
- Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF)-this process can also be done from the trunk
- Oblique lateral lumbar interbody fusion (OLLIF)- that the physician can approach the backbone in the side
Step 3- Bone Infection is performed – For fusion to occur between two vertebrae a bone graft is necessary to function as a bridge, commonly bone grafts are placed into the space between the vertebrae to be fused. The bone graft helps bone recovery and increases bone creation.
The graft utilized maybe
- Allograft – from bone bank/cadaver
- Autograft- usually a piece of bone from around the patients own pelvis
- Artificial -Synthetic bone substitute may be used
Steps 4-Immobilization-The bone graft and vertebrae Should be Glued while the bone graft heals and fuses. The Blend Region is immobilized and held together with metal rods, screws or Screws
Steps 5-Incision is then closed, a brace may be prescribed to encourage the backbone
You’ll Be Tracked in the hospital for 2-3 days, Possibly required to wear a brace while you recover. You will feel some pain Following Operation That Is controlled by Drugs
Bed rest is generally not needed. Rehabilitation might take some time and might be a few months until the bone is solid.
While the healing is continuing the fused spine has to be held in the proper position. You’ll be taught the right way to sit, stand, and walk-in order to not hamper the fusing procedure.
After 3-6 months following surgery, the bone graft should combine the vertebra above and under to form a single strong part of the bone that firmly attaches to the backbone creating permanent fusion, slowly improving your symptoms along with your activity level.
Diagnostic Tests for Spinal Fusion Surgery
- Usually complete symptomatic history of patient taken, clinical examination Imaging techniques done to confirm the diagnosis and also to rule out other problems
- MRI is performed to look for disc problems and check spinal nerves status
- CT Scan for ruling out joints and bones problems
- X-ray to check for arthritis or injuries in vertebrae
- Bone scan to rule out cancer
- Myelogram, electromyogram
Factors affecting the cost of Spinal Fusion Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The clinic, the Patient chooses.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super living room for the number of nights defined (such as nursing charge, meals, room rate, and room service).
- The fee to its group of physicians.
- Standard diagnostic and test processes.
- Price of this follow –up care needed after the procedure
Reach out to our experts for the best and affordable Spinal Fusion Surgery cost in India.
The Most Important Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is spinal fusion?
A: Spinal fusion is a surgical technique wherein two or more vertebral bones are eternally linked to maintaining functioning and supply stability to the spine. The theory behind spinal fusion is that if debilitating vertebrae are immobilized they won’t hurt.
Q: What are the disease conditions requiring spinal fusion surgery?
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spondylolisthesis (a condition wherein one vertebra slips forward on top of another )
- Spinal stenosis- usually due to arthritis in the spine
- Spinal fractures- due to injuries
- Kyphosis, Scoliosis- due to abnormal curvatures
- Tumor causing the weak or unstable spine
Q: What are the common symptoms of displaced vertebrae?
- Stiffening and loss of mobility of the spine
- Neurological symptoms like numbness, paralysis, loss of reflexes
- Severe back pain, even occasionally sciatic pains
- Difficulty in sitting and standing for long durations
- Weakness of legs
- Changes in Gait
Q: What is the time taken to perform spinal fusion surgery?
A: It depends on the level of the fusion and extent of surgery, usually simple one level fusion surgery takes between 2-3 hours.
Q: What are the risks involving spinal fusion surgery?
A: Spinal fusion is major surgery, there may be some infrequent complications:
- Damage to the nerves and surrounding structure during a procedure
- Pain at the graft site / Graft rejection
- Wound infection-antibiotic cover is usually given to prevent infections
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) leading to a pulmonary embolism – there is a possibility of the formation of clots in the leg. These may break off and travel to the lungs leading to pulmonary embolism.
- Pseudarthrosis – when there is no union between the fused bones if this occurs a second surgery may be needed to fuse the vertebrae.
- Adjacent segment disease- as the area that was fused cannot move so there is increased stress and motion on the adjacent vertebrae causing their degeneration.
What are the signs of infection after surgery?
- Redness, swelling
- Drainage from the incision site
- Elevated temperature
Q: What is the recovery period following spinal fusion surgery?
A. Retrieval time is variable, based on the magnitude of surgery, there’s a limitation of certain actions and rehabilitation required but the patient typically returns to regular work by 6 months and physically energetic work by roughly 12 weeks.
- Walking- there Is Not Any limitation, most Individuals are walking the day following the operation
- Sedentary work — normally 3-6 weeks following the operation
Q: What is the success rate of spinal fusion surgery?
A. The success rate of spinal fusion surgery Concerning pain relief is 70-80 percent.
Q: What reduces the chances of success of spinal fusion?
A: Clinical Results of Operation depends upon the surgeon’s Expertise, accurate Identification, and the patients Overall Health State.
The success rate could be reduced in patients that smoke, have been overweight, have diabetes or afflicted by some other major medical condition, have osteoporosis.
Sheikh Zayed Rd Dubai United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates
Established in : 2007
Number of Beds : 290
81 Irwon-Ro Gangnam-gu Seoul Seoul 06351 South Korea
Established in : 1994
Number of Beds : 1979
Chandragupta Marg, Opp Russian Embassy, Chanakyapuri New Delhi Delhi 110021 India
Established in : 2001
Number of Beds : 190
Senior Consultant , MBBS, MCh
27 years of experience