Gastric Sleeve Surgery Cost in India
One of the common and effective weight loss procedures with lower risks involved is sleeve gastrectomy, also known as gastric sleeve surgery. It is a laparoscopic procedure that involves only 1-3 days of hospitalization and within a month of the operation the patients will resume their daily life activities.
Diagnosis for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The procedure is not recommended for everyone. The individual must meet various criteria :
- Have a body mass index of 40 or more
- Have a body mass index of 35 and other morbidity related medical conditions
- Should be between ages of 18 and 65 yrs
- Should have tried other weight loss methods
- Should be healthy to have a surgery
- Must be aware of the potential risks and side effects
- Must be willing to make lifestyle changes
- Should be psychologically healthy
Recommended: What is gastric sleeve surgery?
Procedure for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Patient will be evaluated by the surgical team, clinical dietitian and a psychologist.
- Complete medical and surgical history will be taken .
- Series of preoperative blood tests and x-rays are performed to check fitness for surgery
- Stop Smoking, if you are a smoker.
- You will be also advised to restrict certain medications before surgery
- The surgeon will explain you regarding the benefits, potential risks , after care after the surgery .
During the Procedure
- The surgery takes about an hour.
- Surgeon will make a few small cuts in your stomach and insert a laparoscope to view the inside
- The surgeon will then insert other medical instruments and remove 3/4 of your stomach.
- The remaining stomach is reattached to form “sleeve” or tube.
- The procedure cannot be reversed
- Hospitalization for 2-3 days before being discharged.
- The patient is shifted to recovery with constant monitoring of the vitals
- There is pain during recovery , each person experiences pain differently.
- Bowel movements Bowel movements may be difficult or painful. Constipation is present the first week post-operative.
- Activity –Walk, Don’t lift anything heavy. You will feel fatigued and tired for up to a month after surgery due to the reduced calorie consumption.
- Advised to take liquids at regular intervals to avoid dehydration.
You may be interested in: What Happens Before Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Factors Affecting Cost of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital, the patient chooses.
- The room charges , OT , procedure charges
- Fee for the surgeon and team of doctors.
- Cost of medicines
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure.
Helpful: METABOLIC AND WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY
Complications of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The surgeon performing the surgery will discuss with the bariatric patients both the benefits and risks of this procedure. Sleeve gastrectomy may cause complications like :
- Sleeve leaking
- Blood clots
- Wound infections
- Bowel obstruction
- Aversion to food and nausea
- Gastroparesis a delay in moving food from the stomach to the small intestine
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
The Most Important Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Procedure for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
By significantly lowering the size of the stomach, the treatment limits the amount of food consumed. After gastric sleeve surgery, a patient can only eat a tenth of the amount of food he or she could before the procedure.
When Should Gastric Sleeve Surgery Be Avoided?
It is contradicted by the following:
- History of Patients with a Drug or Alcohol Abuse.
- Who have medical issues that make surgery more risky.
What Do You Mean by BMI?
The BMI is a method of determining a person’s level of obesity based on their height and weight.
Is It Possible to Become Pregnant After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Most women can become pregnant after undergoing gastric sleeve surgery, and the technique itself can aid in the treatment of infertility caused by obesity. However, it is recommended that a pregnancy be postponed for 18 months after surgery to allow the body to normalise weight and allow for a healthy pregnancy.
What Are the Most Significant Dietary Adjustments After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Make sure you drink plenty of water.
- Make it a point to eat modest meals multiple times a day.
- Every day, eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery a Risky Operation?
Yes, it is a safe and effective method of weight loss. Bleeding, stomach leaks, blood clots, wound infection, abdominal abscess, stenosis, and stomach obstruction are the more significant consequences.
What Are the Results of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Within the first year after surgery, patients should lose between 50 and 80 percent of their excess body weight. Withi, you should be able to achieve a healthy weight.