Pancreatic Cancer Treatment Cost in India
The pancreas is the abdominal organ situated behind the stomach that secretes juices for food digestion. A natural hormone that regulates the body’s blood glucose levels is secreted by the pancreas, which is also responsible for digestion. Uncontrollable tumor growth in the pancreas is a characteristic of pancreatic cancer.
Patients with pancreatic tumors can get pancreatic cancer treatment in India. The majority of patients receive a pancreatic tumor diagnosis in the late stages since pancreatic cancer is very difficult to diagnose in the early stages. The pancreatic cancer treatment cost in India varies across different regions but we can estimate a certain range.
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment Cost in India is more affordable than in countries like the US, Russia, Europe, etc. For patients coming for Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India, the best hospitals are available with affordable healthcare packages and top-quality equipment or apparatus with the assurance of excellent treatment quality and top-class doctors.
Let’s know the detailed concept of pancreatic disorders and their treatment aspects.
What Is Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer is the disease when a few pancreatic cells develop tumors leading to cancerous diseases. The cells that cover the lining of the organs, mostly form tumors. Cancer of the pancreas is not easily diagnosable and treatable, especially at the early stage.
It is very difficult to detect cancer at the initial level until it reaches the other body part. Such reasons make it difficult for doctors to detect and rectify it at the primitive stage.
Role of the Pancreas in the Human Body
The pancreas is the pear-shaped organ present in the abdominal region. It is an essential part of our digestive system which breaks down food. It secretes multiple digestive enzymes that break the food particles in the duodenum region.
There are two types of functions that the pancreas performs. The majority of pancreatic cells secrete the digestive enzymes for food breakdown. This is known as exocrine function.
Some of the pancreatic cells known as the islet of Langerhans are responsible for controlling the blood sugar levels, which refers to the endocrine function of the pancreas.
Pancreatic Enzymes that help in Digestion (exocrine Function)
- The lipase enzyme is essential for breaking down complex fat molecules into simpler substances for easy digestion.
- The lipase enzyme works together with the bile salts that our liver produces. If somehow lipase is not released then there is a hindrance in fat digestion.
- The person might suffer from problems like irregular bowel movements, diarrhea, and many others due to a lack of lipase production.
- As one can assume from its name, the protease enzyme is responsible for the breakdown of protein molecules in our diet.
- It also helps to kill some harmful bacteria. The indigestion of protein molecules can cause allergic problems.
- Amylase enzyme helps in the breakdown of carbohydrates in our diet. The carbohydrate breakdown produces energy that our body utilizes.
- By completing the process of carbohydrate digestion, pancreatic amylase creates glucose, a small molecule that is absorbed into your bloodstream and transported all throughout your body.
Pancreatic hormones that regulate blood sugar levels (endocrine function)
- The beta cells of the pancreas produce natural insulin in our body to regulate the rise of sugar levels in our blood. The inadequate production of insulin leads to diabetes.
- There are other types of pancreatic cells known as alpha cells that release glucagon hormone.
- The hormone acts as a modulator that increases blood sugar levels as per the optimum requirement.
Gastrin and Amylin
- Gastrin is usually produced in the stomach but the pancreas also secretes some. It helps in the stimulation of gastric enzymes.
- The beta cells produce amylin which prevents the stomach from acid during its emptying.
Problems Related to Pancreas
- Some of the common pancreatic diseases include pancreatitis, diabetes, and pancreatic cancer. As the pancreas plays a vital role in digestion, multiple problems related to the digestive system can take place.
- Pancreatitis disease causes severe pain in the abdominal region. It occurs when the pancreatic enzymes start to act upon the pancreas itself which results in pain.
- Based on the severity, it is divided into acute and chronic. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to such problems.
- The beta cells of the pancreas produce natural insulin that regulates the blood sugar level. If the pancreas will not produce insulin, then the amount of sugar will increase tremendously leading to diabetes.
- Not only our digestive system but other organs like the heart, and kidney are also affected by it.
Causes of Pancreatic Cancer
It is challenging to determine the actual cause of pancreatic cancer. There are multiple types of research flourishing in this area. On the other hand, pancreatic cancer is carried on by some risk factors. We still have the power to reduce some habits that could increase the risk of pancreatic cancer.
These are the viable risk factors for pancreatic cancer:
- Tobacco consumption – Scientific research states that the person who smokes has a higher chance of developing pancreatic cancer as compared to those who do not. Smoking is the sole reason for 25% of pancreatic cancer.
- Obesity – Being overweight may increase your risk of getting pancreatic cancer. Compared to those of normal weight, obese people have a 20% higher risk of having pancreatic cancer.
- Chemical exposure – The people working at chemical factories are often exposed to chemicals. Such people have a high chance of getting pancreatic cancer.
- Genetic inheritance – Some of the inherited genes become mutated and are responsible for causing 10% of pancreatic cancer.
- Age – When people age, the risk of getting pancreatic cancer can also increase. The majority of people who opt for pancreatic diagnosis fall between the age of 60-70.
- Gender – According to the analytical research, males have a high risk of pancreatic cancer than females. One prime reason can be the use of tobacco that men mostly do.
- Physical inactiveness – Our daily physical activities are a part of exercise that can prevent us from several diseases including pancreatic cancer.
- Diet – The consumption of extremely fatty foods can ultimately increase the risk. We should avoid processed foods and sugar-based drinks for the abatement of pancreatic cancer.
Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer
The symptoms of pancreatic cancer vary from person to person. The symptoms are not visible at the early stages but start to appear as time passes.
These are the common symptoms of pancreatic cancer:
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Gall bladder or liver enlargement
- Blood clotting
- Nausea or vomiting
- Poor appetite
If you have more than one of these symptoms, then visit your respective doctors for diagnosis and early treatment.
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment Cost in India
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment cost in India starts from INR 4,79,916 (5,760 USD) and is comparatively low as compared with other countries even though India is one of the best medical tourism countries in the world. In terms of quality and standard, the level of medical care and services is comparable to that of the best hospitals in the world.
As there are a number of variables that affect Pancreatic Cancer Treatment cost in India, this includes the type of treatment, the method employed, as well as the hospital and location of choice, the doctor’s qualifications, and so on. For this reason alone, many people come from all over the world for medical care in India.
Factors That Affect The Cost of Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India can depend on the patient depends on many factors, they are:
- The hospital, the patient chooses.
- Fee for the team of doctors.
- Standard tests and diagnostic procedures.
- Type of surgery performed
- Cost of chemo/radiation therapy
- The price of the needed post-procedure care
- Pancreatic Cancer Treatment Cost in India can depend on the type of hospital and rooms you stay.
For foreign patients traveling to India, Medsurge India provides the finest pancreatic Cancer Treatment Cost in India at a reasonable cost, all while being supervised by top medical professionals.
Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer
The early conditions were not favorable for pancreatic cancer diagnosis as it was non-detectable at an initial period. The early-level diagnosis can help in the effective treatment before cancer spreads to other body parts.
Though the symptoms vary, the doctors can recommend multiple tests at a time. Some of the preferable tests for pancreatic cancer are as follows:
- Blood test – Usually, a blood test is the first thing that doctors recommend when they observe the probable symptoms of pancreatic cancer. The blood test is done to reveal the exact amount of sugar level in the blood.
- Computer tomography (CT) scan – The doctors recommend for CT scan when the ultrasound results show some abnormalities or inaccuracy. During the scan, the radiographer injects the dye into the patient’s arm for clear detection of the problematic parts of an organ.
- Ultrasound scan – The ultrasound scan uses sound waves to produce the images. The ultrasound is the most common diagnostic test for the abdominal region.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) – Some people also undergo MRI scans. The system uses the magnet and radio waves to produce cross-sectional images of the body.
- Biopsy – The biopsy refers to the removal of a small part of infected tissue and its observation under the microscope. With this technique, known experts can detect the presence of tumors.
Best Oncologist in India
- Dr. Vinod Raina
- Dr. Ankur Bahl
- Dr. Prasad E
- Prof. Dr. Suresh H. Advani
- Dr. Rajesh Mistry
- Dr. Raja Sundaram
- Dr. Mahadev P
- Dr. Senthil Kumar
Best Cancer Hospitals in India
Treatment Options for Pancreatic Cancer in India
There are two types of pancreatic cancer surgery:
- Palliative Surgery: The doctors recommend this type of surgery when cancer has spread entirely in the other body parts as well. It then becomes difficult to completely remove cancer but doctors can rectify some of the things. The surgery helps in relieving severe conditions like bile duct or intestinal blockage.
- Potentially Curative Surgery: This type of pancreatic cancer surgery is useful when the diagnostic tests reveal cancer to be completely curable.
Chemotherapy treatment involves the intake of drugs for reducing the adverse effects of cancer. It can be oral or intravenous. Single drugs or a combination of drugs are advisable according to the requirement.
3. Radiation Therapy
Radiation therapy uses X-rays or proton rays to target specific tumorous cells. The doctors mostly prefer it in combination with chemotherapy.
4. Clinical Trials
Clinical trials are usually for study purposes for the identification of standard tests and diagnoses that are more suitable. If the treatment is proven safer after successful clinical trials, then it becomes standardized.
Why Do Individuals Prefer to Have Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India
The country has some of the best medical care facilities and services in Asia, making medical tourism in India very popular. The Best Hospitals for Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India provide all types of disease-related surgeries using advanced technology. Also, the pancreatic cancer treatment cost in India is much more affordable as compared to other states or nations around the world. An international patient can expect to pay 50-60% less for pancreatic cancer treatment in India.
The hospitals for pancreatic cancer treatment in India provide comprehensive appropriate treatment, including comprehensive pre-operative evaluations, minimally invasive surgical options, and post-operative rehabilitation programs. Patients can expect personalized treatment, individualized attention, and compassionate care at these medical facilities. The hospitals are accredited by top international organizations such as the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) or the Joint Commission International (JCI).
What to Look for When Choosing a Hospital For Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India
Indian hospitals that perform surgery for cancer are well-known for their hospitality and patient care services providing the finest hospital, oncologists, and surgeons in India. However, choosing a suitable hospital for treating pancreatic cancer treatment in India can be difficult for an international patient. It is a significant decision that must be made with several factors in mind, including:
- Quality certificates and accreditations
- Hospital and transportation facility location
- Team of doctors and surgeons
- Advanced diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- International patient assistance
How can Medsurge India Help
Medsurge India is a prestigious support system for patients looking for doctors, hospitals, and specialized treatments. Our staff will provide you with a list of licensed, renowned, and trustworthy physicians and medical facilities in relation to your medical needs. Additionally, we offer a treatment strategy that fits your budget. Apart, we assist patients with obtaining travel authorizations, medical visas, and a multitude of other things.
The Most Important Frequently Asked Questions
Q.How to deal with and cope with the situation as a cancer patient?
Pancreatic cancer is not that difficult to deal with. You don’t need to feel distressed over the consequences.
Talk to your doctor about your concerns. They are experts so they can help you cope with the situation or some additional medicines can help in relieving pain.
There are other productive activities like meditation, relaxation exercises, etc., that can provide mental strength.
Q.Is there any non-surgical method for treating pancreatic cancer?
Yes, there is. The method involves the removal of the tumor with the help of a ‘nano-knife’. It is a special device that utilizes electric pulses of specific voltage to destroy the tumor cells.
However, this type of technique requires special permission and a certificate. Till now, only a few doctors are eligible to perform.
Q.Can a person survive without a pancreas ?
Yes, it is possible. Although there can be some basic adjustments in life to fulfill the normal functioning of the pancreas.
Improvise your diet plans and follow the medications as per your doctor’s advice.
Q.Are medications not enough to treat pancreatic cancer?
There is little reported evidence for long-term survival in patients without surgery. However, it is more advisable to remove the cancerous tumor of the body before it spreads to and damages other organs.
Q.Is pancreatic cancer 100% curable?
If pancreatic cancer is diagnosed at early stages, it can be mostly curable.
At an individual level, a patient needs awareness regarding the risk factors and initial symptoms regarding pancreatic cancer.
The early diagnosis can result in more efficient treatment.
Q.Are There Any Side Effects of the Treatment?
Depending upon the consequences, there can be slight side effects such as:
- Appetite loss
- Fluid in the abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Skin problems